Wednesday 11 July 2012

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontё

If you love classic novels, I suggest that you have to read this book. Wuthering Heights itself is the name of a big house in Yorkshire, England. First, don't expect such a lovey-dovey story in this book, you will find mostly about revenge, anger, and hatred. This gothic yet dark novel is really worth to read. Especially Heathcliff who seeks revenge to Earnshaw family. By marrying Isabella Linton, because he wants to inherit Thrushcross Grange (another house that is located not too far from Wuthering Heights), and he treats Isabella very cruelly. 


"Is Mr. Heathcliff a man? If so, is he mad? And if not, is he a devil? I sha'n't tell my reasons for making this inquiry; but I beseech you to explain, if you can, what I have married."


Also, I have difficulties when I read this book. One of them is that I didn't understand any single word from Joseph. Well, I think it's because it's in Yorkshire dialect.
I read Wuthering Heights that published from Penguin Classics. But the cover from Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition is more artistic but it's not hardcover, I prefer hardcover, because it's more durable.



Penguin Classics



Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition

1 comment:

  1. Wuthering Heights (4/100)
    The universe turns a mighty stranger
    When one perishing takes with one a heart;
    Or if all else would perish no danger
    Would come those perishing refused to part.
    Proud people for themselves sad sorrows sow
    When for marriage against true love revolts
    And vow against the substance of one's soul
    As moonbeams vow themselves to lightning bolts.
    Like foliage love that kind the season's pass
    And true love's: the unchanging rocks beneath
    Where cruelty with cruel fate will harass
    As Cathy willed her choice away from Heath.
    Now returned, three graves wed, to wuthered stone
    Where lie, in time, their cursed sad sorrows sown.

    http://newamericansonnet.blogspot.com/2012/07/wuthering-heights-4100.html

    ReplyDelete